Thursday, October 19, 2006

22 Weeks, 5 Days

Your baby measures about 7.6 inches and weighs about 12.3 ounces. The muscles are getting stronger every week now, and the eyelids and eyebrows are developed. Your baby's acrobatics are pretty constant, and since he responds to sound, rhythm and melody, you can try singing and talking to him. After he's born, the same sounds will soothe him.
~Courtesy WebMD
I felt movement!!! It's so exciting, and wierd, and cool, and just a little creepy, but there's something moving around in there! I was playing poker on the computer, (I was up 28,000 fake dollars, thank you) and I started to feel a little bump, bump, bump. It felt like something was bumping up against my bladder. Not in a rush-to-the-bathroom, get-out-of-my-way-you-fool, kind of way. Just the softest little nudge. I think I felt this before, but I just dismissed it because all of the books kept saying it would feel like butterflies or a little flutter. This time my bladder was just full enough to tell me that it really couldn't have been anything else.
It's really exciting because I was getting a little down about the fact that I hadn't felt it yet. Everytime someone asked about the pregnancy, they wanted to know if I'd felt movement yet. I hated having to say no. I was by no means past the normal time when I should be feeling something. They say it should happen between 18 and 22 weeks, and it takes a little longer if it's your first baby and if you're not of the skinny little twig persuasion. It's not abnormal unless you've felt nothing after 26 weeks. Sadly, none of the books had any shortcuts to offer those of us who lack the virtue of patience.
It's also exciting because it's a little piece of good news in a stressful time. As most of you probably know, I was laid off a couple of weeks ago. I've filed for unemployment and put in a few applications around town, but it's hard to get hired when you're five months pregnant. I commend my (ex)boss for his fabulous sense of timing. (Can you see the sarcasm dripping off the screen?) We should be okay, because even if I don't find a job, my unemployment will outlast the pregnancy, and I was planning to look for a new job afterward anyway. Even so, it's been a bit stressful around here. At least for me. Why is it that a man(Bryan) never feels stressed? Don't they know, they're just causing us females to stress-eat for two? In my case, three. But that's a subject for another post. In the mean time, I'm rather enjoying my bum status. I could get used to this whole housewife idea. Now if I can only convince Bryan...

1 Comments:

Blogger Faren said...

I haven't checked your blog for ages, but I did today, wierd huh? That is so cool, I can't wait till s/he is strong enough for me(well, Bryan too, and both moms if they must:) to feel kicking. I think patience is hard to come by for all of us when it comes to this baby. For some reason, men seem to worry less than women, and Bryan is so laid back if he was worring he wouldn't even know it! I know you were getting very tired of your job, so at least you don't have to put up with it, or your boss' wife anymore.
You know the funny thing about not having a job and being a housewife is that for some reason the house isn't any cleaner...how does that happen?

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home